Get ready to devour the BEST ham and cheese croissant! Buttery warm croissants filled with a combination of melty cheeses and thinly sliced ham. These easy-to-make croissant sandwiches are perfect any time of day.
Croissants can be so versatile in recipes! I use them in both sweet and savory dishes and we love croissants any way we can have them. Croissants with my chicken salad are always a must! But try them in sweeter recipes like this breakfast casserole or this bread pudding.
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Croissants
There is just something about a warm and tender croissant filled with melted cheese and salty ham. The combination of Gruyere and Swiss cheese is perfection! These easy ham and cheese croissants are also topped with butter and parmesan cheese to give them a buttery crisp exterior. Every bite is pure heaven!
The first time I had a ham and cheese croissant at my favorite French bakery I was sold! Savory croissants are a whole new experience, and any time I go to a bakery, it’s the first thing I look for. I can always get my fix at Starbucks because they have a delicious ham and cheese croissant. If you’re looking for more Starbucks copycat recipes, then try these egg bites or my version of their pink drink.
Ingredients You Will Need
Everything is easy about this ham and cheese croissant recipe, including the ingredients! It only takes a quick grocery run, and you can make these sandwiches in no time.
- Croissants: Store-bought croissants make this recipe so easy!
- Deli Ham: Thinly sliced ham is best. I love honey-baked ham for a little added sweetness.
- Swiss cheese: Swiss cheese melts perfectly in this sandwich.
- Gruyere cheese: Adding Gruyere cheese takes this sandwich to a whole new level. It’s a great combination with the Swiss cheese.
- Butter: To brush the tops of the sandwiches with. It also helps the parmesan cheese to stick.
- Parmesan Cheese: Adds a salty and crispy outer crust to the croissant.
How to Make Ham and Cheese Croissants
I love how simple yet elegant these croissant sandwiches can be. Serve them for game day, at bridal showers, or during the holidays. They are crazy easy to make, and everyone will devour them!
- Preheat Oven/ Prepare the Pan: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Cut the Croissants: Slice a slit in the middle of the croissants with enough room to add the cheese and ham.
- Add the Cheese and Ham: Stuff the croissant with a slice of ham and a slice of both Gruyere and Swiss cheese. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush With Butter: Melt the butter in a small bowl, then brush the tops of each croissant with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle Parmesan Cheese: Lastly, sprinkle parmesan cheese on the top of each croissant before baking.
- Bake: Bake for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the croissants are toasted and flaky.
Tips and Variations
Switch up the meat or cheeses to your liking! The variations of a hot croissant sandwich are endless. Here are a few of my tips and ideas below.
- Meat: Try other meat options like turkey, bacon, or sliced chicken.
- Cheese: Choose any type of cheese you like! Such as cheddar, fontina, and mozzarella to name a few. You can also pair any kind of cheese and meat combination that complement each other. For example, prosciutto and fontina cheese would be delicious together!
- Cover with Foil: If the tops of the croissants start to darken too quickly, then you can cover the sandwiches with foil. The foil will protect the tops from darkening too fast.
Ham and cheese croissants make the best leftovers! Simply warm them up and enjoy them in no time at all. Follow my tips below on storing and reheating leftovers.
- In the Refrigerator: Store leftover ham and cheese croissants in an airtight plastic bag or container. Place in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- To Reheat: Place the leftover croissants on a baking sheet, then reheat them in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes. Alternatively, you can reheat the croissants in the microwave for 20 seconds.
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Croissant
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
Slice a slit in the middle of the croissants with enough room to add the cheese and ham.
Stuff the croissant with a slice of ham and a slice of both Gruyere and Swiss cheese. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
Melt the butter in a small bowl then brush the tops of each croissant with the melted butter.
Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of each croissant.
Bake for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the croissants are toasted and flaky.