Every Indian is excited to see the Republic Day Parade on 26th of January. They feel proud when they got to know about the diversity of India, the tradition, the bravery of the soldiers, strength of the Indian army, stunts performed by the Indian soldiers, art forms of different state of the country.
On the Republic Day Parade, one can be the witness of all the above things. But very few Indian people knew about the unknown facts of Republic day.
There are many unknown facts about the Republic Day Of India, will try to focus on some of that in this article.
- The first Republic Day parade at Rajpath was held in 1955.
- After we achieved Independence on August 15 in 1947, our leaders wanted January 26 to be remembered in history as well. Therefore, the day was made to coincide with the day of Swaraj.
- January 26, 1930, was earlier celebrated as India’s Independence Day or Purna Swaraj Day. It’s the day India decided to fight for complete freedom.
- Republic Day Celebrations are a 3-day long affair.
- The first Republic Day was celebrated on January 26, 1950, three years after we got independence.21 gun salutes are given every year when the President of India hoists the national flag on republic Day to mark the honor.
- 21 gun salutes are given every year when the President of India hoists the national flag on republic Day to mark the honor.
- A Christian song, Abide With Me, is played at the Republic Day Parade. It is believed to be one of Mahatma Gandhi’s favorite songs.
- A majority of national awards such as Bharat Ratna, Padma Bhushan, and Kirti Chakra are awarded during the Republic Day ceremony.
- Malik Gulam Mohammed (first governor general of Pakistan) was the first chief guest of the Rajpath parade in 1955
Here is the glimpse of the 66th Republic Day Ceremony hosted at Rajpath on 26th January 2016. After watching this you should also feel proud for the nation.