Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and covered in a zesty, savory glaze, this Chinese lemon chicken is sure to become a new dinnertime favorite. It’s ready in 30 minutes for a better-than-takeout meal the whole family will go crazy over!
Chinese Lemon Chicken Recipe
Everyone loves orange chicken, but it’s time for lemon to step into the spotlight! This Chinese lemon chicken recipe starts with crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside chicken pieces. Once they’re fried to perfection, everything gets coated in the most mouthwatering sauce ever. It’s the best mix of savory and sweet, with a thick, glossy consistency that coats each piece wonderfully.
The sauce has a soy sauce base for that classic savory, Chinese takeout flavor, but then it’s combined with lemon zest, lemon juice, white vinegar, and garlic. The result? Pure heaven! Chinese lemon chicken has just enough bright, zesty flavor to keep it from being too heavy, but is so savory and delicious you won’t be able to resist going back for seconds. For more delicious recipes inspired by Chinese cuisine, try this dynamite shrimp or some crispy crab rangoon to complete your meal!
Chicken and Sauce Ingredients
Chinese lemon chicken takes simple ingredients and transforms them into a crispy and tangy masterpiece. From tender chicken pieces coated in a golden crust to a zesty sauce that bursts with citrusy goodness, each element plays a crucial role in making this dish delectable. (Exact measurements are in the recipe card!)
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: Cut into 1-inch pieces, these provide the main protein for the dish.
- Salt and Pepper: Used to season the chicken pieces, enhancing the overall flavor.
- Cornstarch: Coats the chicken, creating a crispy and golden exterior when fried.
- Eggs: Beaten eggs act as a binding agent, helping the cornstarch adhere to the chicken.
- Canola Oil: Used for frying, it gives the Chinese lemon chicken a nice, crispy texture.
For the Lemon Sauce:
- Granulated Sugar: Adds sweetness to balance the tanginess of the lemon juice and vinegar.
- Lemon Juice: Provides a zesty and refreshing citrus flavor to the sauce.
- Soy Sauce: For that classic, savory Asian flavor!
- White Vinegar: Complements the lemon juice and adds tanginess. You can also use rice vinegar for more authentic flavor.
- Garlic Salt: Infuses a hint of garlic flavor and enhances the overall seasoning.
- Lemon Zest: For a little more concentrated lemon.
- Cornstarch: Helps thicken the Chinese lemon chicken sauce, creating a glossy texture.
How to Make Chinese Lemon Chicken
Perfect for busy families, Chinese lemon chicken only takes 30 minutes from start to finish! Just as long as it would take for Chinese food delivery to arrive. Making it from scratch is definitely the way to go. It’s fresher, tastes better, and is free from additives and artificial flavors.
- Preheat Oven, Cut Chicken: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Coat With Batter: Add the cornstarch to one bowl, and the slightly beaten eggs to another bowl. Then dip each chicken piece into the cornstarch then coat it in the egg mixture.
- Heat Oil, Fry: Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the chicken until browned.
- Add to Baking Dish: Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 greased baking dish.
- Mix Sauce Ingredients: Mix the sugar, lemon juice, grated lemon zest, white vinegar, soy sauce, garlic salt, and cornstarch in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Pour Over Chicken and Bake: Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 1 hour.
- Toss: Stir the chicken every 15 minutes so that it is coated in the sauce.
- Serve: Serve over rice and enjoy!
Chinese Lemon Chicken
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups cornstarch
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
Add the cornstarch to one bowl, and the slightly beaten eggs to another bowl. Dip each chicken piece into the cornstarch then coat it in the egg mixture.
Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the chicken until browned.
Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 greased baking dish.
Mix the sugar, lemon juice, grated lemon zest, white vinegar, soy sauce, garlic salt, and cornstarch in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 1 hour.
Stir the chicken every 15 minutes so that it is coated in the sauce.
Serve over rice and enjoy!